ECI Group, a facility design specialist based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and U.K.- based Wilson Bio-Chemical have signed an agreement to license and offer the Wilson System for waste processing.
According to a joint news release, the Wilson System is a patented waste treatment technology that takes mixed unsorted municipal, commercial and light industrial solid waste and converts it to fiber. The end product sanitizes all the material to produce a range of clean resale products.
“[The agreement] is a major step in the commitment of ECI Group to provide engineering expertise and solutions for the circular economy,” says Joaquin Flores, president of ECI Group. “This is something we owe to current and future generations, and we have spent many years in trying to find the right system and partner.”
Wilson Bio-Chemical says the technology provides a recycling rate of up to 90 percent, providing a sustainable solution designed to valorize waste. Wilson Fibre is the primary product of the system, whichcan be further processed to produce high-value products such as biomass fuel pellets. Other materials separated through this process are clean plastics as well as ferrous and nonferrous recyclates.
The group says the main advantages of the Wilson System are:
- Carbon emissions are reduced by utilizing waste as an asset;
- Replacing fossil fuels with high-value biomass pellets produced from Wilson Fibre provides a substantial reduction in carbon emissions and provides integration with other processes to convert them into valuable chemical products;
- Unique proven separation process to obtain homogenous biomass, plastics, metal and glass, which can be reused to produce other products;
- Reduce waste volume by up to 70 percent of its original volume, waste sanitization and odor abatement; and,
- Modular design to allow scalable implementation in large-scale facilities.
The two companies say the agreement provides a base for both parties to improve the system to meet specific environmental, market and client needs. This will leverage ECI Group’s 145 years of engineering expertise with Wilson’s technology to offer to the market a unique, cost-effective and highly scalable global solution to environmental and economic problems, the companies state.
“The Wilson System is a global solution to the environmental and economic problems that are caused by the destructive methods currently used in the disposal of waste,” says Tom Wilson, founder of Wilson Bio-Chemical. “The system is designed to valorize waste; it then becomes an asset from which a diverse range of products matched to the needs of the location can be returned to the local economies, providing a true and sustainable circular economy.”
ECI Group and Wilson are engaged in several projects using municipal solid waste to obtain raw materials for the production of new plastics, fuel or energy.