Fire crews quickly tackle blaze at C&D landfill in Salt Lake City

The fire, which took place at the Central Valley Landfill, was reportedly sparked by batteries mixed in with construction debris.


Crews from the Salt Lake City Fire Dept. (SLCFD) knocked down a fire at the Central Valley Landfill on the morning of June 16.

The landfill, which is located at 7213 West and 1300 South in Magna, is primarily used for construction waste, including materials such as wood and carpet.

As reported by Fox13, a single SLCFD company responded around 5:30 a.m. and had the fire 90 percent extinguished by 8 a.m.

The cause has not been determined but Fire Department Capt. Anthony Burton said it could have been sparked by electronics, specifically batteries. According to Burton, batteries get mixed in with trash and can ignite a fire when hit by heavy equipment that is processing the waste. 

Share This Content